3.2.13

more from the beautiful wedding of sarah and creg (aka craig)

I recently posted ten unconventional wedding portraits from the wedding of my friends Sarah and Creg (I just can't bring myself to call him Craig, though for the record that is his name). Some of those images are pretty out there in terms of capturing something that is in fact really traditional. But I did actually take a lot of more photos, many of which are much closer to 'wedding photos' (but I still like to think they have something of a unique flavour). While I adore the oddball shots I posted last time, I wanted to share some of the others from the day, because the day was, and the photos are, very beautiful.





It's a special thing to be around when a group of really close girls prepare to send one of their own down the aisle, into a new chapter in life. There are so many quietly touching moments, whether it's the bride putting her shoes on, or drawing a diagram of the altar set-up.

These two shots are particularly gorgeous. Sarah looks so radiant interacting with her flower girl (and now niece). And the second shot shows Sarah embracing her mother for the last time as an unmarried person. In addition to depicting a lovely moment, I think the natural, warm colour tones make this photo pretty special.

I was staying at the same house as Creg the night before the wedding, and when I got up the morning of, I found the kitchen of this normally very busy household empty and exceptionally quiet. Except for him. Sitting at the computer, writing his vows. I just had to take the shot.










And then it happened! They got married. What a stunning couple.




The chapel and reception venue were on a hill that overlooked a beach sunset, which made for some excellent photo opportunities. The whole thing was very modest, in a perfect, charming way.

This is Creg and his best mate and best man, Andrew. Such a lovely photo. If you look closely, it's kind of out of focus. But I don't think it detracts from the image. In fact, it adds a lovely softness to it that almost suits the golden glow that the setting sun is bathing them with.







Then it came to one of favourite parts of weddings, in terms of both photographing them and partaking: the party. It's always a good time to get uninhibited shots of the guests, leading to some gorgeous, vibrant photos. The last one, of the groom and his men, is one of my highlights from this part of the event. It was late, everyone had had a big day and a few drinks. It's fitting, then, that there are closed eyes, funny faces and selective blurring. But it's still so beautiful because it captures the closeness, and the connection (or mateship), that obviously exists between these guys. And even though weddings are about two people making the ultimate connection, they are also, crucially, about celebrating the important connections you share with everyone in your life. And judging by the day they had, Sarah and Creg have many very special ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment